In Pinterest days-of-old, group boards were seen as an essential part of any Pinterest strategy. Many marketers and bloggers would join as many group boards as possible, hoping to get their pins in front of as many eyes as possible. However, over the past few years, Pinterest has made several changes that have impacted the effectiveness of group boards.
Which begs the question, are Pinterest group boards still relevent in 2023?
First, let’s talk about what Pinterest group boards are. They’re essentially collaborative boards where multiple users can contribute pins related to a specific topic. Traditionally, these boards were an excellent way to increase the reach of your pins and connect with other creators in your niche. It was one of the foundational elements of a successful Pinterest marketing strategy.
Pinterest Algorithm Changes
In recent years, Pinterest has made several significant changes to their algorithm. These changes have prioritized fresh content and engagement, making it more challenging for group boards to rank well in users’ feeds.
Pinterest’s algorithm now prioritizes new pins over old ones, which can make it difficult for pins on group boards to gain traction. Additionally, Pinterest has made changes to how they weight engagement metrics like saves and comments, making it more challenging for group boards to drive significant traffic and results.
Overall, these algorithm changes have made it more difficult for group boards to drive traffic and engagement on Pinterest.
The Effectiveness of Pinterest Group Boards
But don’t fret just yet! While group boards may not be as effective as they once were, they can still be a useful tool for certain content creators and marketers. We don’t use them for all of our clients, but we still have a few that get good traction from their group boards.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider group boards:
- Group Boards Can Still Drive Traffic
Group boards can still drive traffic to your website or social media accounts. The key is to join high-quality group boards with engaged members and to contribute high-quality content regularly. Make sure you choose boards who have your ideal audience and it’s not just a club of other business owners. For example if you’re in the wedding industry, make sure to choose boards that have an audience of brides and grooms and not other wedding professionals.
- Group Boards Can Help You Build Relationships
Joining group boards can be a great way to connect with other creators in your niche. By contributing high-quality content and engaging with other members, you can build relationships that can lead to collaborations and other opportunities. Maybe it’s finding other bloggers in your niche or businesses you could send referrals to, there are still good relationships to be had in group boards.
- Group Boards Can Help You Stay Up-to-Date with Trends
Joining group boards in your niche can keep you up-to-date with the latest trends and topics. This can be a great way to generate new content ideas and stay ahead of the curve in your industry.
How to Make the Most of Pinterest Group Boards in 2023
If you do decide to use Pinterest group boards in 2023, there are a few things you can do to maximize their effectiveness:
- Join High-Quality Group Boards
When it comes to group boards, quality is more important than quantity. Look for group boards that are active and have recent pins that are high quality and not spammy. If you see one account pinning the same pins over and over again, it’s not a good board to join. Look for variety and quality content in any boards you join. Using a site like PinGroupie.com can help you find more of your ideal group boards, it will show you engagement, follower growth and more.
- Contribute High-Quality Content Regularly
To get the most out of group boards, you need to contribute high-quality pins on a regular basis. This is a good place to put your new blog posts or fresh videos. This will help you build relationships with other members and drive traffic to your website or blog.
- Engage with Other Members
Engagement is key on Pinterest, and this is especially true when it comes to group boards. Make sure to engage with other members by commenting on their pins and pinning their content. If you want to be a good member, it’s a good idea to pin from the board as well as to it. Many group boards have rules about the minimum you can pin to them and the minimum you need to pin FROM them. It’s important to know what the rules are and make sure you’re following the guidelines.
- Monitor Your Results
Keep track of your results on Pinterest to see which group boards are driving the most traffic and engagement. This will help you identify which boards are worth your time and which ones you should drop.
How to Find and Join Pinterest Group Boards
Unfortunately, it’s not very easy to find high-quality group boards these days. It used to be easy to search for Group Boards specifically but now you have to dig a big to find them. Here’s a few ways to find them:
- Search for Boards on Pinterest: You can use Pinterest’s search function to find group boards in your niche. Simply enter a keyword related to your niche and you should see a list of relevant boards. You will have to click into the boards to see if it’s a Group Board. If you see several circle icons for different users under the board name, it’s a group board.
- Check out Other Pinners in Your Niche: Another way to find group boards is to check out other pinners in your niche. Look for pins related to your niche and check out the boards they belong to. If you see a group board that looks promising, check the board description to see if they’re accepting new contributors.
- Read the Group Board Guidelines: Before you request to join a group board, make sure to read the board guidelines carefully. Some boards may have specific requirements for contributors, such as a minimum number of followers or a limit on the number of pins you can contribute each day. Make sure you can meet these requirements before you request to join.
- Follow the Board Owner: If the group board owner has a Pinterest account, consider following them and engaging with their content. This can help you build a relationship with the owner and increase your chances of being accepted into the group board.
- Send a Polite Request: Once you’ve read the group board guidelines and followed the board owner, it’s time to send a polite request to join. You can usually do this by leaving a comment on one of the board owner’s pins or sending them a message on Pinterest. Make sure to introduce yourself and explain why you’d be a good fit for the group board. Be polite and professional in your request.
Want help with your Pinterest marketing? Schedule a free Discovery Call today!